The Jackson’s @ SkyMall

Jenny writes:

This picture was seen in SkyMall, you know, that magazine for you to buy stuff while you’re on an airplane? Totally unnecessary to have an apostrophe in that sign for a family’s house, and even it if was necessary, it’s in the wrong place!

DC says:

Believe it or not, I was taught that adding apostrophes to pluralize last names is correct. Before the 18th Century it was standard to pluralize foreign words like banana’s, folio’s, waltz’s, logo’s, pasta’s, etc. However, I understand that many modern style guides don’t allow the use. My writing book allows apostrophes for any other plural besides objects such as Books.

Acronyms: CD’s or C.D.’s

Letters: Dot your i’s and cross your t’s

Numbers/Decades 1960′s or 60′s, How many 7′s are there, 1000′s of items

Also pluralize words like no if’s and’s or but’s. This also applies to the do’s and don’t’s.

You may believe it’s incorrect because of the style guides. I just want you to know that my writing book permits this.

dpv says:

evaporated said "The Jackson's is correct if you add 'residence' at the end."

To say The Jackson's Residence implies there is only one person with that surname at the residence and he or she goes by "The Jackson."

The residence belongs to all the Jacksons (plural). To maintain the plural sense, the correct apostrophication would be The Jacksons' Residence because The Jacksons's Residence is-s too-oo much-ch.

Yes: The Jackson Residence would also be correct.

evaporated says:

I believe that "residence" is implied. The Jackson's is quite correct if you add "residence" at the end.

It depends on if you're thinking of the sign as being possessive, or if you're thinking of the sign as being a descriptive noun. A descriptive noun would mean that you would be thinking of it as the family, and therein, not needing the apostrophe.

Not necessarily… What if it is Samuel Jackson's house?

Pana says:

In defense of the Jackson family – Highland Blvd belongs to THEM. Bwahahahah!

dpv says:

When I worked at an amusement park several eons ago, every day I walked past a wood crafter's stall among the artisans in the "frontier"-themed section of the park. He sold signs that said "The Smith's" and "The Jones's." One day I couldn't stand it any longer, so I stopped and explained the correct way to form a plural possessive. When I finished my little lesson, he didn't shift his apathetic glare in the least, but said in a dead monotone, "They buy 'em, don't they?" I couldn't argue with that.