Time to worry about you’re child’s education

Jessica sent in this instruction sheet sent home by her daughter’s first grade reading teacher:

It’s interesting that the your/you’re confusion occurs with both references to “A.R.”.

13 Responses

1. Anonymous says

I'm sure when the offending teacher realized his/her mistake, he/she was horrified. Educators are extremely busy people and like most humans, make mistakes from time to time. From the content of this reminder, it's obvious that the teacher is doing his/her part to encourage reading. Cut him/her a little slack!

2. ebryant says

It's true what Anon said, but I would be very worried if my kid was in that class.

3. Redbeard76 says

Also this note is in Comic Sans. That's a criminal offense right there!

4. Anonymous says

My 2nd grade teacher used to put mistakes like this in our homework pages, and whoever circled them and could explain the problem to her (incorrectly spelled word, wrong punctuation, use of a homophone like you're / your) would get candy.

Agreed on the Comic Sans thing, though. Ugh.

5. Anonymous says

Anon is probably wrong. They are not extremely busy people. And if they can't even proofread their own material, they should find another teacher to do it.

I had four kids in the school system, and there were but a handful of teachers that I thought knew as much grammar and spelling as my own kids. And this kind of stuff came home every single semester.

6. Gracie says

I can assure you it happens and it's not due to being busy. No self-respecting English/reading/lit teacher would ever make such a mistake. I speak from experience, in that my son used to bring home misspelled paperwork from his school all. the. TIME. Didn't matter if it was from the principal, the math teacher, or his English teacher. I would correct the errors in red pen and mail them back to the school (to avoid my son being singled out and retaliated against…sadly learned that one the hard way).

7. Anonymous says

I personally LOVE the Comic Sans font. It is so cute!

8. Laura says

When my son was in sixth grade, his English teacher wouldn't use the standard spelling lists, but instead created his own lists of spelling words each week. In the first week, my son came home with a list of 20 words, four of which were misspelled. The next week, the spelling list contained three misspellings. Don't tell me the teacher was busy. The teacher couldn't spell and neither could his students.

9. Anonymous says

There is absolutely no excuse.

(Why does everyone dis Comic Sans? I love Comic Sans. So there!)

10. Anonymous says

Yep, that's a problem.

11. Susan says

Regarding the Comic Sans font, I would like to add my name to the list of those who like it. It's perfect for kids in that it looks "fun" and is much easier to read than, say, Times New Roman.

As for spelling errors, I was volunteering in my child's school once and was in the copy room. I noticed a big stack of tests for grade 6 students, neatly piled. While I was waiting for the photocopier to finish, I had a look through. Eek! I asked a teacher's aide that came in who did their editing and she just looked at me blankly. Then I mentioned what I saw & she pretended that it wasn't a big deal. I almost feel like volunteering to edit their work for free if it meant that kids wouldn't be subjected to that stuff. (Although I would feel a "touch" arrogant in doing so, so I wouldn't!)

12. meg says

In fifth grade (NOT first; that's too young) my teacher purposely left in grammatical and occasionally spelling errors when he would hand out English or social studies worksheets. He gave merit points to the first person to point them out, like anonymous #2.

He wasn't some lazy bastard, though. He never had errors on anything where concept comprehension was supposed to be the main focus, not sentence structure (i.e. math, science, notes to parents). I pointed out a misspelled word on a field trip notice once, and he actually dropped everything, stopped the class, and had them correct it before bringing it home.

Edited for grammatical correctness xD

13. Fanboy Wife says

If this is the only error the teacher made, then it is forgivable. However, if the teacher makes those mistakes often, then the students are in trouble. Teachers have to go through so much education, testing, in-services, more training, reviews, and meet other requirements I would be surprised that an incompetent English teacher slipped through the cracks. I could see how this could happen in an area that doesn't pay teachers well, so they have a hard time attracting qualified teachers.

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.