Cre’me Brule’e

Rebekah writes:

It’s not even a plural/possessive conundrum. I have never seen an apostrophe used as an accent mark…

Clearly it’s just an abbreviation of the world-famous “Crellidame Bruledotante” flavored coffee.

8Ypw8cARmuaaQhlReC1TVVZ1_uD5UipmfRo- says:

Dead keys are used in order to generate some accents using the US-International keyboard layout. For “crème brûlée” (“crème brulée” is also acceptable according to Wikipedia), one would type “cr`eme br^ul’ee” and the computer would automatically place the accents.

Even with this in mind, I would definitely consider it apostrophe abuse.

seahedges says:

In fact Italian may replace written accents with an apostrophe: Caffè may be written caffe’, and no one seems to consider it amiss, as best I can see (admittedly Italian is a second language for me, tho I have lived in Italy for the past ten years. The apostrophe-cum-circumflex in crême takes the ga’teau.

–SEA, Asolo

Josh says:

I work for a web company and my job involves reading text submitted by the general public – and I see this ALL the time. I don’t think most non-tech savvy people have any idea that you can actually type punctuation marks correctly.

Beebo says:

I do something similar when typing emails, etc. (not papers or assignments, though) in Italian, since I don’t readily know the alt-codes for accents. But for something like this? Come on. The “insert symbol” menu isn’t hard to find. Even handwritten accents above the typed words would’ve been better.

Jerome Colburn says:

This lady, whose name goes back to the 10th-century Norse queen Ásta Guðbrandsdóttir, was already making the apostrophe-for-acute her trademark when she attended my high school 35 years ago and more, and even in the age of ISO-Latin-1 she still is.

arianna says:

I’ve actually seen that done before, but usually only at the end of the word. I can’t decide if I am glad that they even TRIED to accent the word, or if their lame attempt was just not even worth it. I’m totally torn. :)