Its/It’s confusion on bottle of Ocean Spray

Sarah writes:

I noticed this when I was finishing off the last of the grapefruit juice: “It’s bold, delicious taste is a perfect source of natural energy.”

Nicole says:

Just a question, born of idle curiosity: how can a bold, delicious *taste* be a source of natural energy? Surely it would be the ingredients in the product that would be the source of energy?

BC says:

I never thought I’d say this, but Grace is right.

grace says:

I don’t mean to be rude, but seeing as you’re all anonymous … whatever.
LEARN THE ITS/IT’S DIFFERENCE!

AGH!
If you’ve never heard that there was a rule about it, why would you be reading a blog about apostrophe abuse, and correcting the author? Holy moly.

From Wikipedia–I know, not the most authoritative source, but they get it right here:

“No apostrophe is used in the following possessive pronouns and adjectives: yours, his, hers, ours, its, theirs, and whose. (Many people wrongly use it’s for the possessive of it, but authorities are unanimous that it’s can only be a contraction of it is or it has.)”

Had they spelled out Grapefruit juice, then the bottle would read, “Grapefruit juice’s bold, delicious taste…” But since they refer to the juice as “it,” no apostrophe is needed. The bottle should read “Its bold, delicious taste…”

Maybe there is a period missing: “It’s bold. Delicious taste is a natural source of energy.”

hehe

The apostrophe does NOT show possession with “it’s”.

An apostrophe also shows possession. “It’s bold, delicious taste…” Is the same as saying “Grapefruit’s bold, delicious taste…” It wouldn’t mean “grapefruit is” in that instance either.

Bzzzzzt… bottle is wrong.
“It’s” means “it is”.

So:
“It is bold, delicious taste is a natural source of energy”?

poppy says:

Yah, I agree. LOL! The bottle is correct.

Ooopss….I take it back. You’re right, Sarah. got discombobulated.

I believe the bottle is correct. “It’s” refers to the grapefruit’s qualities.