Ladie’s Room in NYC

Ross writes:

Spotted this the other day at a cultural institution in New York City. I can’t be more specific without getting in trouble. Thought you’d appreciate the thought that went into putting the apostrophe in the wrong place. Surely it couldn’t be “Ladies'”?

I like the random capitalization and punctuation. (And, how on earth would Ross “get in trouble” for describing where he took this picture?)

Meaghan says:

Or it’s somewhere in NYC that has banned photographs? Is that still in effect?

He is probably worried about getting in trouble because he works there. Maybe his boss wrote the sign.

Gez says:

Oops, I forgot to close quotation marks. They’ll have my Grammar Nazi card off me for this.

Gez says:

Eva-sensei, I hope you said that in the most patronising voice possible for maximum irony.

John, I agree. It has got to be a strip club.

This phenomenon is frighteningly common. It’s almost as though the writer is thinking “I know how to spell ladies, but I have to put an apostrophes somewhere!

Blue says:

Eva-Sensei is my hero too!!

Second floor might start to flood fast!

john says:

Eva-Sensei, you are my hero.

Eva-Sensei says:

Wow, this gives me a huge flashback to a time when some guy came onto my college campus to hand out fliers to a local bar. Like most ladies who passed him, I accepted the paper as it was offered to me. Upon discovering that the flier said “Tuesday is Ladie’s Night,” I turned around and gave it back the guy, telling him that I’d never patronize a bar that couldn’t use apostrophes correctly. Poor guy was dumbfounded.

Signs&Wonders says:

that was my first thought (what phaedrus said.) It didn’t say to use the “2nd floor RESTROOM”–just “the second floor”. Messy!!!

phaedrus says:

Since the ladies’ room is out of order, you must instead use the second floor. There’s not much privacy on the second floor, but if you’ve gotta go…

john says:

I’m guessing by “cultural institution” he means “strip club”