More Tattoo’s

Cliff sent in this photo he took in Philipsburg, St. Martin:

“Tattoo’s” seems to be a common mistake… any ideas why?

eeyore19 says:

Just because some idiots have tattoos doesn't mean all people with tattoos are idiots.

People who get tatoos are idiots! That’s why!

Blue says:

friendinme… Forever in Blue Jean’s what?

friendinME says:

humph.

How come my tattoo says, “Forever in Blue Jean’s”?

;)

Tara says:

More often than not words on signs are pluralized using an apostrophe. I’m a copy editor, so this (and so much more) drives me bananas.

Anyone with an elementary-level education knows that apostrophes signify possession or represent missing letters, that they are not a means of pluralization.

I too wonder why we have this penchant for misused apostrophes. Laziness? Because all of the cool kids do it? Rebellion?

Sign makers: I’m going to reveal a big copy editor’s secret: Use the dictionary! It will show you how to pluralize the word. It doesn’t take that long to look up a word, and it saves you embarrasment. Do you really want your sign ridiculed here? And it will help business. I’m far more likely to go get tacos at the other store if you are advertising that you have “taco’s.” Taco’s what? I’m left wondering and wanting. I know that the first store has more than one taco, but at your store I know only that you have something that belongs to taco, but you won’t tell me what.

I’m so glad I came across this blog.

C Maryon says:

Nouns ending with vowels in the singular seem to be a big problem when adding the s for the plural, particularly nouns ending in o or oo for some reason.

I wonder if this is quite a deep-seated aversion, now that I think about it – many vowel endings change spelling when pluralised – y becomes ies (except ey as in trolleys) o becomes oes (usually). Why did we never simply add an s on the end? That’s all we do in speech today – perhaps in Middle or Old English from a thousand years ago, we actually pronounced plural noun-ending vowels differently to the vowel in the singular

There’s a deep thought for a Friday