Enoki Mushroom’s

Spotted this abuse on a package of Ostrom Farms mushrooms. I’m not quite sure why they decided to use an apostrophe in the description text but not just above on the label.

Tagged with , .

10 Responses

1. Anonymous says

Is that wrong? I think they left off an implied “The” as in “The mushroom’s flavor”

2. Anonymous says

anonymous: That would make the rest of the text incorrect; you’d have to replace “make them” with “makes it”.

3. Anonymous says

shouldn’t it be: mushrooms’ texture? The texture belongs to all of the mushrooms.

4. Arden Michelle says

That’s what I was thinking, it seems like apostophe misplacement rather than outright abuse. I think it should have been mushrooms’.

5. Anonymous says

I agree with the last two posts–the apostrophe is just misplaced. And since it’s the products name (and for the sake of consistency), the ‘m’ in mushrooms’ should be capitalized.

6. Anonymous says

ohmigod! I just posted with an apostrophe error. Uh…I was just testing everyone. LOL

7. Anonymous says

Actually, there is nothing wrong at all with this sentence. And the fact that it isn’t in the above text is also accurate. As it was said; the texture belongs to the mushrooms and in the above text, “Enoki Mushrooms” is the name of them, and therefor doesn’t need an apostrophe.

8. P. Dant says

No one has said that the “Enoki Mushrooms” at the top needs an apostrophe. It doesn’t.

But in the descriptive text, “Enoki Mushroom’s” is singular (one mushroom, or one type of mushroom), while “makes them” is plural. It should be Enoki Mushrooms’.

Alternatively, you could write “The Enoki Mushroom’s [flavor and texture] makes it..”

9. Beth says

I think this one’s actually fine.

10. Anonymous says

As an English teacher (and generally assumed grammar expert), I have two points:
    1. It should be Mushrooms’.
    2. It should be “crisp, crunchy.”

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.