Got Cheese Poof’s?

Beth sent in this great graffiti that she captured in Galveston, TX:

Check out the Atrocious Apostrophe’s pool @ flickr for some more examples of how NOT to use the apostrophe.

Tagged with .

What is a “cheese poof” anyway?

Reay says:

What is its useful purpose? It is supposed in its various positions at end of the word to distinguish between plurals on the one hand and possessive genitives on the other, with a distinction between singular nouns and plural nouns ending in s as to its positioning. Its other use is for replacing ellipted vowels in written contractions of verbs such as it’s and don’t, which could equally well be written its and dont.

Ah, I hear anonymous say, but it’s is distinguished from its the possessive adjective by the apostrophe. Not in spoken language it aint! (I bet youve got it in for double negatives too as well as aint). They are easily distinghished in written discourse by the syntax and the context. I defy you to show me any REAL, i.e. non-contrived, written context where there has in fact been any confusion between the two, or would be.

It is a “rule” imposed for the most part by 19th century pedants, who didn’t know what they were talking about. It certainly existed before that, but was used more whimsically and by some writers not at all, but I do not think that ancient pedigree conveys any justification

Yes I know the “rules” (the quotation here is a valid indication of my attitude – in spoken language I would convey this by intonation) as well as you do, and I maintain that they are unnecessary.

I have already succeeded in baiting you, without particularly trying.

reay, you’ll probably also want to visit the “Blog” of “Unnecessary” Quotation Marks:

And yes, we are better at English than those who improperly use quotation marks. That’s OK, others are better at football, fashion, or filmmaking than I am.

The apostrophe does indeed serve a useful function, and it’s unfortunate that no one bothered to teach you or that you never bothered to learn.

Or maybe you’re just trying to bait us.

Reay says:

Why comment? Because those who insist on so called “correctness” in the use of the apostrophe like to think of themselves as somehow “better” at English than those who either do not “know” the “correct” rules, or do not care.

It is a form of language snobbery to insist on a form of punctuation that has no practical application, and merely muddles things up for a large number of native speakers and language learners.

reay:

So, why comment?

Reay says:

I do not understand the graffito, but this is not due to the apostrophe. It doesnt matter, as apostrophes are completely unnecessary in English. If you leave em out or put em in it aint gonn’a make any difference, and there is no ambiguity of meaning. Their uselessness is the reason why so many native English speakers in all English-speaking countries cant get it “right”. No need to abolish it. Let people use it for decorative purposes if that is what they feel like.

Jeanette says:

This site is a dream come true. Apostrophe abuse makes my skin crawl. I see it everywhere!

tkojh