Oh boy… the possessive of "y’all" is "y’all’s"?

A little southern-style grammar for y’all this morning:

“Y’all,” being authentically Southern, does things differently. It adds an apostrophe and “s,” as though “y’all” were a noun. So the proper possessive of “y’all” is “Y’all’s.” The first apostrophe signals the omission of the letters “o” and “u” in “you all.” The second signals the possessive case.

(Link)

Dan says:

What about good old “youse” – I must admit, I’m a bit of a bogan and I use “youse”.

Katy says:

Being from the south…I just now realized that I use “y’all’s” all the time. Thank you. Thank you apostrophe abuse for opening my eyes.

OK, I can’t believe no one has said this. Y’alls should NOT contain a second apostrophe, just as “yours” and “hers” does not. It’s a PRONOUN.

ignatov says:

Y’all is already plural, short for “you all”. To use y’all when addressing a single person is incorrect.

“All y’all” is widely used, but redundant.

“Y’all guys” is popular in Oklahoma, even when addressing women.

wen says:

nah it ain’t. it’s “all y’all” ;)

I was going to write something negative about all of the comments, but I decided, “hey, there’s enough hate in the world.”

y’all’r crazy LOL

Erudite Redneck says:

I like the plural possessive of y’all, myself:

“Y’alls’es”

Thank you, Scott for understanding how to make “y’all” plural. My mother would be proud.

“Ya’ll” is actually correct. It is based on the use of “ya” instead of you, therefore the apostrophe is representing the omitted “a” in “all”

“Y’all” is used if you are meaning to leave out the “ou” in “you.”

Most Southerners us “ya” instead of “you,” making “ya’ll” perfectly acceptable.

Grammar Momma says:

NOPE. you all=y’all. The apostrophe represents the missing “ou” from the word you. Te apostrophe is placed between the y and the a.

Chris says:

I love “fixin’ to…” (I grew up in Texas), but don’t encounter it much in Seattle.

arkansawyer says:

It’s a wonderful word and trumps “you guys” hands down. My wife is a Yankee, but she adapted to “y’all” and our other great invention, “fixin’ to”, very quickly and now couldn’t manage without them.

The plural can be either “y’all” or “all of y’all” with the “o(f)” barely voiced and sounding as if it were “all y’all”. The possessive would be “y’all’s”.

My pet peeve is the common practice, both in the South and elsewhere, to spell it as “ya’ll”. I grind my teeth and clench my fists whenever I see that.

Scott says:

Now hold on a minute, miss cellania… y’all is NOT plural, it is singular. The plural of y’all is all y’all.
–sdc

Miss Cellania says:

Makes perfect sense to me. A group of people can possess something. What grinds me up is when an outsider uses y’all’s (or y’alls) as a plural.

Vance says:

That’s better than the midwesterner’s word for 2nd-person plural possessive. “You guys’s” Really rolls off the toungue, doesn’t it?

Chris says:

Oh, I agree they are used correctly. I just love that there is the need for a possessive “y’all’s”. ;)

I’m not sure I see the problem. Would you prefer “y’alls” with no apotrophe? Both apostrophes seem to me to be used correctly.